Hi there! Am Isaac Ndune Keah and this is my blog. A lover of the written word willing to share my works and delight in the joy of being read! I have spent considerable time nurturing this art. I can now proudly say that I have attained admirable levels. I now wait to be discovered.

Friday, May 22, 2015

The Tree of Snakes.



Way back while growing up in some leafy countryside, we would only identify a certain tree as ‘the tree of snakes’. It was a small knee-high green shrub whose base-point was surrounded by clumps of foam that looked like snake spit. In our outdoors, we would smash the shrub into pieces whenever we noticed it germinating anywhere because, as we were told, it invited snakes. In a previous generation, my uncle now tells me, they never used to smash it. They'd uproot it wholly and use its hollow stem as a flute, courtesy of their childhood craftsmanship to make their own toys.

I would later encounter the tree of snakes as a graphical depiction of magic and other themes of mystery. A prop in harry-porter style movies and other horror stories, and I knew that the tree of snakes wasn’t just fodder for empty folklore or a meaningless myth and our smashing it wasn’t just for child play either.

My latest encounter with the tree of snakes is when I was admiring the lush backyard. My walk through the green fields suddenly stopped when I noticed the feeble stems of the shrub jutting up. I  immediately turned away to look for a smasher. Old habits die hard! It occurs to me that there aren’t any children in the village to take up the smashing. Perhaps, in the near future, if folklore survives and these crawling toddlers have grown up a little bit, they too might come up with their own ways of dealing with the tree of  snakes.

This time it’s more disgusting. I detest its location in the midst of my all time favorite horticultural delicacy. I refuse to admit that the tree of snakes is actually sharing air and occasionally gets caressed by the soft tendrils of my juicy ‘tsalakushe’.

The tree of snakes still exists, and I would smash it anytime I spot it, anywhere, just like I used to smash it while I was growing up, way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger