Hi there! Am Isaac Ndune Keah and this is my blog. A lover of the written word willing to share my works and delight in the joy of being read! I have spent considerable time nurturing this art. I can now proudly say that I have attained admirable levels. I now wait to be discovered.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Karura Forest. The Park That Keeps You Walking...


Off Kiambu road, One Kilometer after it branches off from the Thika super highway, there’s a gated entrance to Karura forest. A magnified Atlas page of the forest occupies the entire face of a giant sign post standing next to the information desk at the gate. In a quick virtual tour, I scrutinized the map to familiarize myself with the features inside the forest and decided on the areas to visit. After paying the gate charges, a ranger lectured me on the proper trail etiquette; the dos and donts.  I selected places that would take me on a clockwise circle inside the forest, and began the trek...

 
I led my way into the thick forest under giant trees whose outstretched branches joined into overhead domes, along well tended footpaths. Monkeys hopped across the trees, shaking their branches and causing the dry and loose leaves to fall on me like confetti. What a rousing welcome for me into the forest! There are direction pointers at every crossroads to guide your trail. Occasionally, other hikers, bikers and trail runners came along, but otherwise, the forest is quiet and deserted. I kept on walking…

The rhythm of my stride accompanied me as I walked in the quiet forest. Butterflies winged from the brushes, chasing one another in wavy flight patterns near me. Some casually shrugged against me as if beckoning me to linger on for a longer while and be part of their chasing game. Like a Disney fairy, I paused for a moment to marvel at the pomp and color of excited butterflies flaunting their pairs of graphical wings. In the spirit of the game, I attempted headcount on them. They were Five. No, six. No, Five. Six. Seven…Their irregular choreography created an illusion that was hard for me to decipher, so I gave up the census and kept on walking…

 I passed by another stretch with a cluster of trees blooming with new flowers. Their virgin pistils emitted raw fragrances that defined the surrounding. At that point, I inhaled floral breath. The presence of a distant swarm was highlighted by an opera of buzz words, more like the soundtracks of harvest songs being hummed by honey bees flying around these scented nectar fields. On the ground, I kept on jumping over several trails of safari ants crossing the path and kept on walking…

I began to descend on the slope of a valley that led me to river Karura. On my way down, I came across huge caves with widely agape entrances on the ridge. While inside one of the caves, I'm frightened by a resounding echo that amplified the sound of my own footfalls. I exited the cave and kept on walking... 

Further on, I crossed over a wooden footbridge to get to the other side of a river where I followed an adjacent footpath and traced the meanders of the river upstream up to a double waterfall. The insistent sound of falling water crashing against the rocks at the bottom was ominous in the serene environment. Still rocks lying on the edges of the river are covered by hairy layers of green moss, while those rocks that are directly hit by the falling water are bald and clean. 

I took my final pictures and began to climb away. Further and further away from the river, its sound gradually faded. When I reached the top of the ridge, the river below looked like a muted stream of water.

For exercise and adventure, I ranked my hike as one of my best outdoor experiences lately; the ideal Sunday afternoon activity for anyone.


The map.

The overhanging tree domes frequented by monkeys.

The forest trails.

The caves.

A rock wrapped in moss on the path of slower moving water.

River Karura.

The wooden footbridge.

The river meanders...

The double waterfall.

The writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger